Meet Our Professional Staff
Paul E. Hammerschlag, M.D. F.A.C.S.
Dr. Paul E. Hammerschlag is a highly sought-after expert on the diagnosis and treatment of problems related to the ear, temporal bone, and facial nerve.
Dr. Hammerschlag brings a technical and personal understanding to hearing loss and the educational and social problems of disability. A surgeon, teacher and prolific author, his work has taken him across the country and around the world.
He is currently a member of the faculty at the New York University Medical Center and co-director of the NYU Center for Ear Developmental Anomalies
- M.D. from Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1972
- Pediatric Internship, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seatle, Washington
- Otolaryngology surgical residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, 1974-1977
- Otolaryngology Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, 1976-1977
He is certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology and serves on the Board of Directors of the Center for Hearing and Communication [CHC] (formerly the League for the Hard of Hearing) and the Hearing Loss Association of America [HLAA] (formerly the National Board of Self Help for Hard of Hearing – SHHH).
When not treating patients he regularly contributes articles to textbooks and periodicals, shares his insight in roundtable discussions with pediatricians and hearing specialists and lectures across the country and around the world.
Dedicated to the education of other physicians, Dr. Hammerschlag has held many faculty positions, including:
Faculty Positions Held
- Otolaryngology Instructor at Harvard Medical School
- Lecturer at Mount Sinai Medical School
- Clinical Associate Professor of Otolaryngology at NYU Medical School
His medical society memberships include:
- American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery
- Association for Research in Otolaryngology
- American Neurotology Society
- New York State Society of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery
- Society of University Otolaryngologist- Head and Neck Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- North American Skull Base Society
- American Society of Evoked Potential Monitoring
- American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society (Triological Society)
- American Otological Society
- The New York Otological Society
- The Otosclerosis Study Group
- The Sir Charles Bell Society
Dr. Hammerschlag has been recognized by Castle Connolly and The New York Magazine as a “Top Doctor” in the New York Metro Area, in America, “The Best Doctor”multiple times throughout his professional career, and by U.S.News & World Report.
Janie P. Barnett, Au.D., FAAA
Dr. Barnett is an audiologist well-known for her work with difficult-to-test children. An integral part of our practice, Dr. Barnett utilizes state-the-art facilities to diagnose and sometimes prevent hearing loss.
Her work includes:
- Hearing evaluations for adults and children
- Auditory brain stem testing
- Testing for vestibular disorders, vertigo, etc.
- Electrical activity testing for facial nerve disorders
- Doctor of Audiology Degree from The School of Audiology of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry, 2004.
- Master of Science Degree in Audiology from Teachers College, Columbia University, 1974.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Speech/Language Pathology from Hofstra University, 1972.